Who We Are
Occidental Underwriters of Hawaii was established in 1933 by the late Lawrence Takeo “L.T.” Kagawa. He saw considerable price inequality for minorities in the 1930’s in the life insurance industry. L.T. Kagawa wanted to change that. With the help of A.P. Giannini of Bank of America, L.T. Kagawa kick-started his business and achieved equal pricing and equal access to life insurance for all U.S. residents. The business started out of a small office in the Dillingham Transportation Building in downtown Honolulu with a staff of three people.
In 1951, Occidental Underwriters moved into their own building on the corner of South Beretania and Piikoi streets. The building was designed by Lemmon, Freeth & Haines. The control tower-like penthouse was added in 1967. With the natural stone, angled windows, and a touch of mid-century modern appeal, the Occidental building is somewhat of a local landmark that stands out in the heart of Honolulu, Hawaii.
History in Motion
A timeline of Occidental Underwriters of Hawaii’s Evolution
Our mission is to provide financial peace of mind through experienced and highly qualified staff and advisors using the best financial products and services the industry has to offer.
Occidental Underwriters of Hawaii is a brokerage, carrying a variety of products including:
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Care
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- & More
You have the option to choose from a list of producers who are available to offer consultation to bring peace of mind to you and your family. Our producers have years of experience and hold designations to show their dedication to the insurance and retirement services industry.
Contact us for more information on our list of available insurance agents and retirement advisors.
- Local Knowledge: We understand the unique risks and challenges faced by Hawaii residents and businesses and tailor our insurance solutions accordingly.
- Personalized Service: Our team takes the time to get to know our clients and build lasting relationships based on trust and mutual respect.
- Legacy: With nearly a century of experience in the insurance industry, we have the knowledge and skills needed to provide our clients with the best possible coverage options.
- Competitive Rates: We work with multiple insurance carriers to provide our clients with the most competitive rates and comprehensive coverage options.
At Occidental Underwriters of Hawaii, we are committed to providing our clients with the highest level of service and protection. Contact us today to learn more about our insurance products and how we can help protect you and your assets.